Monday, April 23, 2012

Wow has it been an AMAZINGLY active year!!  I got married at the end of last May and I did manage to stumble through a small veggie garden last summer however I ended up with medical issues that just got me down in the dumps and my over an hour commute to my new job was really making things difficult for me so it was a challenge just to get up in the morning.  I did grow lettuce and carrots over the winter which is the first time I've done that. I created a hoop house using the hoop maker that I bought at Johnny's Selected Seeds (love that site!).  I did learn a few things that I will definitely change for next time.




Now that my surgery is over and I'm better then I have been in years, spring has me itching to plant again!  We'll be moving at the end of June so I won't be able to plant anything permanent (except continuing to cut my lettuce and pull carrots that are still stored in the ground).  While I was walking around Lowes this weekend I decided that if I can't plant a permanent garden that I'll try my hand at a portable one.  Sooo, I purchased a 5 pot tiered set up for my herbs - chives, basil, oregano, dill, and parsley.  I also bought a small  strawberry pot so I can start my strawberry patch I've been dying to do. I use to have a really nice one but a certain ex husband weed wacked it years ago and I just never got to starting another one.

In the meantime, some of my lettuce plants survived a couple of nights we had frost when I forgot to put the plastic back on.  The weather has been really warm and we didn't get any snow at all this past winter.

I still don't know where I'll be doing my planting at our new house.  The sad thing is instead of a bigger plot of land to grow on, the yard is MUCH smaller... We're moving more towards New York City and the closer to the city you get, the smaller and more expensive land and houses get.  So, for this summer, I'll be learning about container gardening and looking at areas around the perimeter where I can grow my beans and peas for the fall in a vertical space.

Blessings,
Kim

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your marriage! Can't wait to see what you end up planting in your new home. I'm your newest follower and subscriber! Come on over to my bog and check out what I am doing this planting season. Fun, fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for subscribing Karen! I'll definitely check out your blog today. It's a beautiful spring day here so I'm just relaxing in the yard with my dog and cat dreaming of my future veggie and fruit crops!

    ReplyDelete